Sunday 22 May 2016

The time we drove 1200km just for Sea Food

Durban 2016
First off, YES! you read the title right. We drove 600 kilometres to and another from just for some Sea Food! Do we not have seafood where we live? Yes, we do. Is it not good? Honestly, I don't know. But this is what I do know; This was a magical trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

So on the 9th of May 2016, my boyfriend told me about this awesome restaurant that he ate this amazing Seafood platter in. Since i'm not a big seafood fan, I turned up my nose and didn't entertain it much! He's not a quitter, so he brought up the topic again but this time he told me that he booked us accommodation at the restaurant's Hotel so that I can try out this fantastic seafood platter. I can tell you now, in that moment, I got so very excited, I barely slept that night. All I could think about was, in 4 nights I'll be at the beach.

Our trip began the early hours of Saturday the 14th of May 2016. Which happened to be my Mother's birthday[I was totally the 1st one to text her :) and wish her a happy birthday]. The weather was not very nice. It was raining and a bit cold but that didn't bother us. All we wanted was seafood. It never was about site seeing anyway. So we set off and started our almost 7 hours drive to KZN, Durban. We took our lil 2 year old with and we made it a fun little family road trip.

Fast forward to about 7 hours later, the sun is shinning beautifully, the weather is nice and warm, and there's major humidity. We are in Durban! Lil one is screaming for her sunglasses and all I want is the bathroom - Thank you Cafe Latte. We arrived just in time to take lil one to the beach, to the top of Moses Mabhida Stadium, and to get some very light lunch before we checked into the hotel.

When 2pm hit, we went straight to the hotel to check in. By this time we were pretty tired and we all just needed a nice shower. We got a lovely family room at the Southern Sun Maharani Hotel in Durban. The Hotel staff was amazing, and the view from our room was just breathtaking.
View from our room on the 20th floor
After relaxing for about 3 hours in our hotel room, we got out for the main reason why we were out in Durban. Seafood! We had a 6pm reservation at Daruma [this is a restaurant inside the Southern Sun Elangeni Hotel) and I was panicking a lil - thinking, I don't like Seafood,this is going to be a disaster!. But the minute I walked into the restaurant, my jaw was on the floor. It could be because I was tipsy from the wine we had...LOL.. The waiters and Waitresses there are really friendly and yet very professional. We ordered our food and had a chance to see the Chef prepare our meal. You see, when you are in the restaurant, there's no back kitchen where food is cooked and comes out looking all pretty and you have no idea who made it; you get to see the chef who prepares your food and how he/she does it. I am still in awe of this. Such a small thing but it makes such a huge difference. So we ate our food and had a fantastic time and can I just say that, that was thee most DELICIOUS Seafood platter i've ever had. My total first and my love. This was the first time that I had seafood like that and I really loved it. We had to literally drag ourselves back to our hotel room,because not only were we full, but we were also a ted bit exhausted from the day's activities. The only person with tons of energy was the little one. She bounced all around our hotel room until just after 11pm at night[We even had to get room service]. 

The very next day, we checked out of the hotel and got ready to drive another 600km back home. 
As crazy as this sounds, this was by far the best *in the moment* trip i've had with my family. We didn't over analyse things like we usually do, we didn't overpack, I wasn't wearing any makeup all weekend, and for once, we were all happy[lil one included] with the selection of music that we had playing in the car.

I am happy that we are all back home safe and sound but I can't believe it has been a week already since our cray cray road trip.

I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I loved writing it :). Let's chat in the comments section below about any spare of the moment trips you've had. Until then, take care.

xoxo
Oluv

No comments:

Post a Comment